of 1959 pamphlet produced by the Germantown Historical Society...
JUDGE HAROLD D. SAYLOR
of the Germantown
THIS YEAR of 1958 we celebrate the 275th Anniversary
of the founding of
. It seems
appropriate at such a time to recount some of
the events in the early life of the community. This article
is written to refresh the memories of the Society members
who as Germantowners or friends of
are already informed on the subject and to give
the story to the scores of subscribers to the
CRIER who live elsewhere, many of them in
generally acknowledged founder of
iel Pastorius. A resident of
, Pastorius had had a good university
education and had commenced practicing law
when he became acquainted with the preachings of
William Penn. He learned that some of his associates in the
, the Pietists, had been corresponding with Penn's
agent for the sale
of land's in
. When his
friends decided to buy a large tract of land he
agreed to go there as their representative
and arrange for its settlement.
August 20, 1683
, at the age of 32, Pastorius arrived
with nine other persons in his employ
as the representative of the
associates. They were followed on
October 6, 1683
by a party
of thirteen men and their families on board the "
." This group had lived at
in the principality of Orange-Nassau, then ruled by William III of
. They had
heard the preachings of Quakers from
on their tours through
. In 1684 Pastorius
referred to this group as his "Hollanders." They
bore Dutch names, some of which with variations survive to this day.
of these first settlers were Quakers except Jan Lensen
who, alone of the group, was a Mennonite and
remained one. All of them came to Penn's Woods
in search of refuge and escape from interminable wars and religious strife that
had long plagued
. So too did the members of the Dutch
Reformed Church, the Lutherans and those of
other faiths who followed them. Many sought an
"awakening of vital piety" and a release from the restrictive
influences of the established church institutions.
Frankfort Company had acquired 15,000 acres of
land from Penn and the Krefelders had purchased 18,000
acres. Jacob Telner and Dirck Sipman of
and Jan Streypers of Kaldkirchen had each bought
5000 acres in 1683 and in 1684 Govert Remke, Lenert
Arets and Jacob Isaac Van Bebber had each bought
1000 acres. Of these six purchasers only Telner,
Streypers, Arets, and Van Bebber came to
and only the last three remained.
had understood that land was to be made available
on a navigable stream but no large tracts were
to be had on either the
. Land was offered on the east side of the
above the Falls where Manayunk is now located but
the settlers did not like that hilly country. It was finally
agreed that 6000 acres northeast of the
should be the site of the main settlement. The
remaining grants were made farther in the
a grant of
October 12, 1683
, 6000 acres were set aside "unto
iell Pastorius in behalf of the German and
Dutch purchasers" and by another patent, dated
February 14, 1684
, Pastorius received 200 acres "for himself." As a grant of 150 acres had been
made to one Hartsfelder, a land speculator, the total
acreage in the section was 6350. A survey made in
1687 showed that the acreage was but 5700. The previous
grants were extinguished and in 1689 a new
grant of the entire 5700 acres was made to Pastorius.
The original of that grant is in the possession of the Germantown Historical
October 25, 1683
the first settlers met
and drew lots for parcels of land. Immediately
thereafter trees were felled and log houses
erected. The new community was founded. The
district was named the
and the inhabited section
took the name of
. Pastorius, a
language scholar, referred to it in his "Grund und Lager
Buch" as "Germonopolis." The town seal, later
adopted, used the more elaborate "Germano-politanum."
the arrival in 1685 from Krisheim of immigrants who had been subjects of the
Elector Palatine the community experienced new growth along what had
been an Indian trail and was to be known as the
. In time the township
was divided into four villages.
extended from the present Wayne Junction
. Krisheim or Cresheim covered the region from there to
named for Pastorius' home in
, extended from
or Crefeld was the section from there to
the upper end of Chestnut Hill. The name Crefeld survives
as a street in Chestnut Hill and Cresheim as
a small stream in the valley running west to the Wissahickon.
Dutch and German people who founded
were "tired of persecution, fearful of
military conscription and devastation and desirous
of starting anew in the wilds of
object was not land speculation but settlement. Their leader, Pastorius, wrote of the scene of the settlement"Es
ist alles nur Wald." So it was - only forest.
a short time the land was cleared for raising food
and modest farmhouses were built of the materials at hand, timber and later
stone. The flow of men and their families
became established. In the words of the Doctors
Tinkcom"By 1690 the populations of
was approximately 175 of whom all but eight or
ten were Dutch." But the influence of
the Dutch was short-lived. After 1704 a
flood of German immigrants obliterated the Dutch
origins of the town.
first settlers and their followers brought with them
the skills and aspirations of educated and cultured
people. All of them had deep religious purpose.
The Friends and the Mennonites were followed
in 1694 by Johannes
Kelpius, Heinrich Bernhard Koster, and Johannes Seelig and their fellow
of the Wissahickon. In 1719 the Dunkers or
Friends had organized their meeting before 1686
and the Mennonites had set up their congregations about 1708, the Dunkards in
1723, the members of the Dutch Reformed Church in 1727 and the Lutherans
in 1738. Except for the Friends these churches
had their origin in the German areas of the old
country. The spiritual needs of the community were
met by them until the later influx of non-German groups
brought about the organization in turn of the Methodist,
Presbyterian, Episcopal and Baptist churches.
to the original settlers and their immediate followers as educated and cultured
men is justified by their activities. From
the beginning they were not content with
merely clearing the land and creating shelter
and a food supply. In addition to providing for
their spiritual needs they concerned themselves with
matters of the mind. Their leaders were versatile and
talented. Pastorius was a
linguist, author, lawyer and teacher.
German-born, he had an educational and travel background far superior to that of
nearly every early emigrant to
Christopher Witt, an Englishman, was a teacher,
physician, mechanic, pipe and organ maker, and
artist. As a botanist, like John Bartram, he sent
American flora specimens to Peter Collinson in
. John Meng was an artist who despite his early
death produced portraiture which with the work
of Witt made
one of the few places in
whose colonial artists are widely known today.
A century after the founding, the two men whose
portraits of George Washington brought them national
fame, were residents of
. They were
Gilbert Stuart and Charles Willson Peale.
education of the young people, schools were early
made available. In 1701 the court appointed supervisors
of a school which was opened
with the learned Pastorius as the first teacher.
He had taught the school of the Society of Friends
from 1698 to 1700.
He continued his employment as a
until 1719. He died about the end of that year.
is known of the schools in the community thereafter
except that there were two well known teachers
after him. Anthony Benezet, known as a warm-hearted
philosopher and friend of the oppressed, opened
his school in 1739 and taught in it until 1742. Christopher
Dock, a Mennonite of Skippack, taught school
. It was his
habit to kneel alone in prayer for the pupils at
each day's end.
maintained a school
which in 1748 had two schoolmasters and in 1754
Johann Wolfgang Leitzel, a German, was teaching writing and reckoning in the
lower end of
. About 1760 the Reformed Congregation on the
had a school.
Sower, or Saur, had opposed the school project
originated by English-speaking citizens in 1750
claiming it was a menace to the use of German and
a peril to the German-speaking citizens' religion. However,
following his death in 1758, his son Christopher quietly co-operated in the
movement to found a public school in
December 6, 1759
at the inn, of
iel Mackinett, later and now known as the Green Tree Tavern, a
group of citizens met to organize the
, later popularly known as
. This school was established with both English
and German departments headed respectively
by David James Dove and Hilarius Becker or
Baker. It was created in challenge to the
efforts of outsiders who had assumed that the Germantowners would be unable to attempt such a project.
Funds were subscribed and a lottery was conducted.
Ground at the southwest corner of
School House Lane
was acquired and
the cornerstone of the first and main building was laid in 1760.
1775, the year of the battles of
, the residents of upper
, in answer
to the need for a school in their section, erected the
, now known as
. In 1845 the
was established on
for children of the Meeting. In
later years its doors were opened to the boys and girls
of parents who valued the educational influences and
ideals of the Society of Friends.
need for disseminating knowledge and furthering the education of the older
members of the community brought about the publication of newspapers, tracts
and pamphlets. Very early in its history Germantowners
busied themselves with what became in
course of time an outstanding activity that resulted in
becoming the most important American
typographical center. This was due to the fact that
the papermaking and type founding businesses were
first put into successful operation in
. Rittenhouse and William Dewees built the first
two paper mills in
and later type and printing
ink were produced in
at the head of the publishers was Christopher Sower whose newspaper "Der
Hochdeutsch Pensylvanische Geschichts
Schreiber" was issued in
from 1739 to 1777. He and his son printed
the Bible in the German language in 1743, 1763
and 1776. Copies of these early American sacred
books are on exhibition in the Society's Museum.
Michael Billmeyer and Peter Leibert published
"Die Germantauner Zeitung" bi-weekly between 1785 and 1793 as well as many books and treatises.
The Sower press issued also almanacs and religious
and secular publications designed for consumption in the rural communities as
well as in
. Their influence among the Germans in
the colony was tremendous. What was perhaps the
most important publication in the colonies made
a cultural factor among the Germans who
comprised about one-third of the population of
leads us to the listing of Germantown Firsts as tabulated
by Dr. Harry M. Tinkcom from the best sources
available to him. The list, which I summarize, follows
in chronological order:
First permanent American colony organized and
established independently of governmental or commercial
First grist mill in
by Richard Townsend. Later known as Roberts' Mill.
First public protest against slavery in the
First theological treatise of importance to be
British North America
iel Pastorius's "Four Small but Unusual and Very Useful
First paper mill erected in
Rittenhouse on Monoshone Creek, now Paper Mill
First chartered borough in
First school book written and published in
was Pastorius's "A New Primer or Methodical
Directions to Attain the True Spelling."
First portrait in oil painted in
, was that of Johannes Kelpius, Pietist and a Hermit of the Wissahickon, painted
by Dr. Christopher Witt.
First Mennonite Meetinghouse in
was erected of logs in
. Meetings were held
in private houses as early as 1690. The 275th Anniversary
of the coming of the Mennonites to
is being celebrated in 1958.
First forge in
was erected by Thomas
Rutter near the
. The first meeting of Dunkards was held about the year 1720.
First conferences held in
to unify the
various German churches.
First Bible in a European language printed in
by Christopher Sower in
First work on general pedagogy, a "teaching methods"
book written by Christopher Dock and published
in 1770 in
First American to cast type from matrices of
his own manufacture was Jacob Bey in
. And the
first "specialist" manufacturer of printing ink in the
was Justus Fox of
likewise built and operated the stocking
and linen weaving, fulling, tanning and wagon
and carriage industries. Ashmead and Bringhurst made the "Germantown
Wagon," a vehicle lighter than the
chaise, famous in Eighteenth Century America.
The community gained the right to be called
"the first distinctively manufacturing town in
is apparent from the foregoing that from the very
its residents were greatly
interested in things of the mind and spirit while
not neglecting material matters. The early settlers
speaking German and the English-speaking settlers
who quickly followed them joined together to
set an early example of the process of Americanization so typical of later
times. The two major ethnic groups in
William Penn's colony came to terms with languages
and customs foreign to them and evolved a
model of life in
that persists to this day.
unique charter granted in 1691 created a "close
corporation" by naming certain persons as the
first officials and authorizing them to meet annually
thereafter and fill the offices. The people themselves
did not elect the burgesses, councilmen, bailiffs,
sheriffs, etc. After a time it was found that because of religious scruples many of the settlers declined
to accept office. However, the real reason that
government under the charter came to an end was
the reluctance of the Germantowners to pay taxes
to the county and provincial governments. They
believed themselves to be autonomous and needed
to pay taxes only locally. In any case a representative
of the British crown upon investigation found
officials had been acting illegally
in making laws, managing public affairs and performing
January 11, 1707
the government at an end by terminating the
was but one of
the many townships in the county until 1844 when it became an ordinary borough. As such it was merged with
the other governmental entities in the County under
the Consolidation Act of 1854 and thereby became
the Twenty-second Ward of the City and
the political-military side
with various important actions in its early history.
After nearly a century of peaceful existence, except for Indian alarms, in 1764 it suffered the invasion
of several hundred of the Paxtang Rangers (Paxton
Boys) who came from upstate areas to destroy a
small band of Moravian Indians who had taken shelter
in Philadelphia. The Rangers had
been organized to demand assistance from
the provincial government against marauding
Indians who had been murdering settlers as
far east as
. Through the efforts of Rev. Paul D. Bryzelius,
a Lutheran minister, and later of Benjamin
Franklin, Benjamin Chew and others sent to
Penn, the band was persuaded to return home.
Little damage was suffered except for bullet holes in the weathercock on the
October 4, 1777, only a, few weeks after the Battle
of the Brandywine, General Washington's Continental
Army attacked the British regulars under General
Howe in a well-planned battle that was fought
in the streets, houses and gardens of Germantown, particularly around the Chew
House and the Johnson House. The battle was
lost for two reasons. One was the great
difficulty encountered in coordinating the movements of the several columns of
troops marching south from the Skippack
area over the Ridge,
and Limekiln Pikes. Another was
the presence of a heavy fog which caused great confusion
among the troops which, fired upon by their
comrades, precipitated a retreat.
the battle proved that there was spirit and
determination in the American Army. The fact that,
so soon after the defeat at the
, the troops could mount an attack
on the British Regulars and only very
narrowly miss a great victory inspired them
to continue the war. In
significance was not lost sight of. Coming
close to the news of the British debacle at
the conduct of Washington and his men at
persuaded the French to ally themselves with
the Americans. The result finally was British capitulation
several weeks in the summer of 1793 and again during
the summer of 1794, President George Washington and his family, fleeing from
yellow fever in the City, occupied the
Morris-Deshler mansion on the west side of
the Market Square. All cabinet members but
one of the new government of the
during those periods.
Meetings were attended by
erson, Alexander Hamilton, Edmund Randolph, Henry
Knox and others who themselves resided in the
community while it was the seat of the executive
branch of the National Government.
resumed its peaceful way and comfortable
living became more general. The architecture changed from that of the typical
house to the more sophisticated dwelling of the
Federal period. Luxury came in. All Germantowners,
including what were then considered landed
gentlemen, had from the earliest days kept gardens primarily to provide fruit
and vegetables for the table. With the
coming of the Nineteenth Century ornamental gardens became the vogue. The
increase of wealth and sophistication
brought about the noteworthy gardens at Wyck, Upsala, Grumblethorpe and
. Charles Willson Peale's fine garden at Belfield
was "the admiration of numerous visitors."
period preceding the Revolution was the great era
. During the first hundred years it
was self-sufficient, quite independent, a distinctive entity.
Thereafter it became more and more definitely associated
with the life of
never thereafter fully reasserted its separate cultural
identity. The city people first entered the community
in search of better air and more pleasant living
than was available amid the miasmas and fevers
of the tidewater metropolis. John Wister, who built
his "big house" in 1744 as a summer home, was followed
by many other Philadelphians. In
the Federal Period (1783 to 1812) the
's first suburb proceeded apace.
But the old German community did not lose its
character, not even after its incorporation in 1854 with all the other governmental units of the county
into the City of
today is an important section of a great
city. But it is far more than that. With its many
churches, libraries and schools, public and private,
its homes and gardens, its business and industrial
areas, it is a distinct community. It has a culture,
a personality and an atmosphere of its own. Tradition
permeates its life.
first highway, once an Indian trail leading through
the forest, saw the comings and goings of the
devout founders who had come to create a new home
in the wilderness. They were followed over the years
by the thousands of immigrants who moved north
and west over the
to what became known
as the Pennsylvania Dutch country where they created their farms. The wise and talented leaders of
knew well their
and the lanes that cut across it in increasing
number as the settlement grew and prospered.
American and British soldiers, Washington and other great men of the Revolution and the nation in its early years
were acquainted with our community and passed
over its streets and lanes. Clergymen, educators, authors, doctors, lawyers,
shopkeepers, industrialists and other men and women have given
its character by virtue of their gifts and
accomplishments for nearly three centuries. It is
to be hoped that this character will be maintained in
a changing world. The preservation of its ancient structures,
symbols of a fine heritage, will give some assurance
of that result.
was on either side of Main Street that the first simple
homes were built, in turn to be succeeded by more
elaborate residences and then largely by shops and
other business establishments. Progress in an expanding
community has taken its toll but there still
remain scores of structures of the Colonial and Federal Periods of which any city would be glad to boast.
the November issue of this magazine will appear a
listing of sites and of the better known houses and other buildings that survive
from the early days. Commencing at the
southern end of
at the foot
of Naglee's hill, near the present Wayne Junction
of the Reading Company, the reader will be taken
to the north, making short excursions
on the way.
is the duty of the community and the purpose of the
Germantown Historical Society to preserve the surviving
houses. It is important that they continue to
evoke for us memories of a great past and to serve as
inspiration to those of coming generations. It is essential
that our successors in turn honor those who preceded
them and give thought to their accomplishments in the area of the mind and the
author makes no claim to originality nor does he
pretend to have researched early records for new data
regarding the ancient community of which we are
all so proud. The information given has been gleaned
from publications, in and out of print, that have
been offered to the public as follows:
"The Guide Book to Historic
Germantown," written by Charles Francis Jenkins, a founder and former
President of the Society, published by it in 1902 and reprinted in 1904, 1915
Germantown," also written by Mr. Jenkins and published by the Society in
," published in 1955 by the American
Philosophical Society following the survey conducted by Grant M. Simon for our
Society with funds obtained by our former President, the late Leighton P.
Stradley, Esq., from the Olin Foundation. The section devoted to the early
and written by Dr. Harry B. and Dr. Margaret
Tinkcom contains reproductions of four ancient maps. In it and in the section on
architecture by Mr. Simon there are twenty-two cuts showing portraits and scenes
from the past. In the survey section of the book eighty-five structures, most of
which still exist, are described and their floor plans shown. Of these
structures there are 138 photographs showing their appearance in long past times
and at mid-Twentieth Century.
"Portrait of a
" by Harold Donaldson Eberlein and Courtlandt
Van Dyke Hubbard, published in 1939 by the J. B. Lippincott Company. This
elaborate volume contains fascinating descriptions and photographs of 20 of the
more famous houses of
and vicinity. Approximately one-fourth of this
outstanding book is devoted to our community.
," published in 1926 by David McKay Company,
contains reproductions of 25 etchings by the artist Herbert Pullinger together
with brief descriptions of the houses portrayed.
"Joseph Pennell's Pictures of
Philadelphia," published by J. B. Lippincott Company in 1926, reproduces
thirteen beautiful etchings of well-known
scenes done by the artist following his thirty
year absence abroad that ended in 1912. The same artist as a young man in the
early 1880's created a memorable series of etchings to illustrate "The
Germantown Road and its Associations" consisting of eight articles written
by Townsend Ward and published in Volumes 5 and 6 of the Pennsylvania Magazine
of History and Biography in 1881 and 1882. Single copies of these prints are
"Quaint Old Germantown in
Pennsylvania," collated, arranged and annotated by Dr. Julius Friedrich
Sachse and published in 1913, contains reproductions of sixty former landmarks
of Germantown and vicinity drawn by John Richards on zinc. Richards was wounded
in the Civil War. His drawings, made while he was convalescent at the army
hospital in Chestnut Hill, have preserved to us views of landmarks of the
of days gone by.
"Ancient and Modern Germantown,
and Chestnut Hill," by Rev. S. F. Hotchkin
was published by P. W. Ziegler & Co. in 1889. It contains accounts of
. history and brief biographies and descriptions
of well-known landmarks. It is
illustrated with photographs and with reproductions of the work of Pennell,
Richards, and other artists.
1683-1933" by Edward W. Hocker, librarian of
the Germantown Historical Society, was published by the author in 1933, on the
250th Anniversary of the founding. It is an authoritative history of the
community based upon meticulous research among original records.
the above publications the present author borrowed
most extensively. He has used verbatim the
phraseology of Mr. Hocker and the. two Drs. Tinkcom
in reviewing the history of
. In the
article to follow in the November issue of the CRIER
much of the data on
houses has been
taken from Mr. Eberlein's authoritative book and Mr. Jenkins' two delightful little books.
AUGUST 20, 1683
, ON THE
DANIEL PASTORIUS, agent of six residents of
Frankfort-on-the-Main who had bought 15,000 acres
of land in
. He was to supervise the settlement of the tract.
SCHUMACHER (Shoemaker), from
, a turner. In 1692 he was coroner and in
1693 sheriff in
's independent government. He became a member of
the Society of Friends. His later years
were spent in
, and he was the
ancestor of a branch of the Shoemaker family, others being descended from Peter Schumacher, who came
in 1685, and George Schumacher, who arrived the
DILBECK, a weaver, with his wife and two sons.
He lived in
until 1696, and thereafter made his home in
spring after settling in
he wrote to relatives in
that the farmers here "live better than
lords. If a workman will work four or five days a week
he can live grandly." They could make 100 bottles
of wine from the fruit of one wild grapevine he
BACHER, whose name also was written Rutters.
SIMPSON, an English servant employed by
Pastorius, with her two children. She was probably a
widow. By the following spring Pastorius was experiencing the trials of the
"servant problem," for he wrote
that a Dutch maid he had employed would not live
with the English servant and the latter was about to
leave. The Dutch maid was not entirely satisfactory either, and Pastorius was
desirous of engaging a German woman to work
BOM, a pastry baker, was with Pastorius' party, but remained for a time in
, where he
established a bakery. A few years later he had
his home in
, where he died in 1689. His daughter married Anthony Morris, progenitor of the
family of that name that has been prominent in the
OCTOBER 6, 1683
, ON THE
ARETS, of Crefeld, and his wife, who was a sister
of Willem Strepers. Arets bought 1000 acres.
(JOHN) BLEIKERS, from Crefeld, his wife and
infant son, the latter having been born on the voyage
. After living in
years Bleikers made his home in
KEURLIS, from Crefeld. He was constable 1692-4.
KUNDERS (Dennis Conrad), a blue dyer from
Crefeld, and his wife and three sons. Kunders was
a burgess and served as recorder in 1696.
(JOHN) LENSEN, a linen weaver from Crefeld. He
was the only one of the Drefeld party who remained a Mennonite. In 1701 he
declined the office of burgess.
LUCKEN (John Lukens) and his wife. He was constable
in 1691 and sheriff 1694-5. His wife Mary is
believed to have been a sister of Reinert Tisen.
OP DEN GRAEFF (Updegrave, Updegraff), a
linen weaver. He and his two brothers were burgesses in
, and Abraham was elected to the
Pennsylvania Assembly in 1689, 1690 and 1692. He removed to the Perkiomen region
in 1704 and died there.
OP DEN GRAEFF, a linen weaver. He was bailiff
in 1693-4, and died in 1697.
OP DEN GRAEFF, a linen Weaver, and his wife.
He was town president of
incorporation, in 1691. He removed to
about 1701, and died there.
OP DEN GRAEFF, sister of the three brothers
named. She married Peter Schumacher, Jr.
MOTHER of the Op den Graeffs, who died a few
months after coming to
SIMENS (John Seimens), from Crefeld, and his wife,
the latter being of the Lucken family. Simens died
the first winter in
, and in 1685 his widow
married Willem Strepers.
STREPERS (Wilhelm or William Streeper), from
Crefeld. He was a cousin of the Op den Graeffs and
a brother of Jan Strepers who bought much land in
and came here later. Willem Strepers was
unmarried when he arrived, but in 1685 he married the widow of Jan Simens. He
died in 1717.
TUNES (Tunnis), a linen weaver. He was a
burgess in 1694.
TISEN (Reynier Tyson), from Crefeld. He was
a burgess for several years. In 1701 he bought 250
, one mile south of Fitzwatertown,
in what is now
, and lived
there until his death in 1745, at the age of 86
years. He was single when he arrived, and in 1785 he
married. Some accounts say his wife was Margaret Kunders,
a sister of Tones Kunders, and others say she
was Margaret Strepers, a sister ot Willem Strepers.
TISEN (Derrick Tyson), from Crefeld, a younger
brother of Reinert Tisen. He did not marry, and
died a few years after his arrival here.
WHO CAME IN 1684
the settlers who came to
after the place was founded were the following from
and Gerhard Levering, who later were the first
settlers of Roxborough.
Klostermann, who became the wife of Francis
iel Pastorius, in 1688.
in den Hoffe, ancestor of the DeHaven family.
Op de Trap, Jan Linderman, Levin Haberdinck, Michael Renberg and Klas Jansen
were from Crefeld:
Isaac van Bebber. In his house the first services
of the Mennonites and of the Wissahickon Pietists
Van Bebber, who later owned much land in
the Skippack region, which was called Van Bebber's Township.
Seimen, Hans Peter Umstat (Umstead), William
Hosters, Kernel Thieszen (Cornelius Tyson), Herman
Dors. Paul Kuster, and Jean de la Plaine.
: Thomas Rutter, who established the first iron
; Kornelius Siverts,
iel Scherkes, H. J. van Aaken.
settlers were: Hubert Brauwer, from Neuweid; Jan Neusz (Nice), from
; Gerhard Hendricks,
van Fossen and
Philip Hanselman, whose home towns are not known.
Copies of the following publications above described
may be obtained at the Society's museum:
"A Guide Book to Germantown." Price $1 for a bound copy.
Visits Germantown." Price
$1 for a bound copy and 50 cents for a
"Historic Germantown." Price $5.
may also be purchased for 25 cents the recently published brochure, "The
Battle of Germantown," paper back.
GERMANTOWN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, founded
originally as the Site and Relic Society, is
a privately supported institution of elected members
dedicated to the fostering of the cultural traditions of
, the preservation of
its historic landmarks and the maintenance of
the Society's Museum and Library. The Society
is dependent upon the support of members in carrying out its missions.
John Bryer. All Rights Reserved